Patient Centered Medical Home
The pediatricians and staff of Alexius M. Bishop, M.D., P.S.C. are committed to providing excellent care in a high-quality medical home for our patients and families.
As your family’s medical home we are committed to providing compassionate, comprehensive primary care. In this approach to your child’s health care a trusted physician partners with the family to establish regular ongoing care. Through this partnership, the primary health care professional is known to the child and family and is able to develop a mutual responsibility and trust to provide care that is:
- High Quality - Our providers follow guidelines and recommendations from American Academy of Pediatrics and Center for Disease Control to provide evidence-based care for your child for well care and sick visits. We will also provide support for our patients and families to better self-manage their health. Many resources for patient education and support are available on our website http://www.ambishoppeds.com/ We also offer resources in in hard copy form.
- Team based and coordinated - Our practice is concerned about all aspects of your child's health. We provide newborn care, immunizations, acute and chronic care, as well as sick and well visits. We are also responsible for coordinating your child's care across multiple settings, including specialty providers, behavioral/mental health providers, home health, and hospitals/emergency departments. Our physicians maintain rounding privileges at St. Elizabeth Healthcare for newborns and are on staff at Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center.
- Accessible – We want to make sure you have access to quality healthcare information, contact with our office, and appointments when needed. The office is open Mon-Fri from 8am-5pm, and on Saturday from 8am - 12noon (except for six holidays: Memorial Day, Fourth of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas and New Year’s Day). . We will always see your child the same day for illness if needed. (We encourage you to call as early as possible if a same day sick appointment is needed). After office hours, a provider from our practice is always on call and can be reached through the main office line at 859-371-7400 or at 866-985-5663. If you think your child might need after-hours care, we request that you call us FIRST so we can help to coordinate that care through the appropriate facility. If you call in for medical advice, please be sure to have ready:
- pen and paper
- your child’s name, first and last
- your child’s age and weight
- child’s temperature, if you suspect, and
- your pharmacy’s phone number
- Patient centered - With each encounter, we strive to place our patient’s first. Our goal is to address patient and family concerns at every visit. We will also discuss the child/teen's health directly with him/her in an age appropriate manner.
As your partner with us, we ask that our patients and families assist us by:
- Keeping us informed - In order to effectively serve as your child's medical home, we must have comprehensive patient information such as medications (including over the counter), medical history, health status, recent tests, self-care information, and any visits to facilities outside of our office (including hospitalizations, ED visits, specialty visits or urgent care visits). We also need to know if there are changes to your health insurance information. Please inform us if there are any changes in your child's health at each encounter (phone or office visit).
- Scheduling recommended well visits –The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that an exam be performed annually. The well visit allows the doctor to monitor growth and development, vital signs, psychosocial and emotional well-being. To schedule a well visit, please contact scheduling at 859-371-7400.
- Letting us know how we can help - If your family is in need of community, mental health, self-care, or disease specific resources to help manage your child's health, please let us know. Many such resources can be found directly on our website at www.ambishoppeds.com.
As your Patient Centered Medical Home we are always constantly striving to improve. Our practice uses ongoing quality improvement processes to identify opportunities for improvement. Our quality improvement activity is posted in the office next to the checkout.